Wednesday 9 April 2008

An evening in the life of...

7.35pm. Finish reading 'The Snowman' to Boy #1. Lights out, after our nightly ritual of various types of kisses which I know, come some time around his 7th birthday (if not before), will be greeted with disdain if not disgust. So for now I am making hay whilst the sun shines...

7.36pm. Husband has gone out networking, so I decide that instead of breaking into the Green & Black's chocolate ice cream, I will have a long leisurely bath. Not; some time later this evening, when I've finished the washing up, tidied the sitting room, and blogged for a while. No, now.

7.37pm. Am interrupted on way to the bathroom... "Mama! I have a headache! I need water to cool me down." Grudgingly give a very small glass of water to Boy #1 (thinking about wet sheets if I give too much...)

7.38pm. Make my way to the bathroom. Turn on the taps.

7.39pm. Go into the sitting room to turn off the tv and get distracted by a chimpanzee giving birth on Monkey Business. God, she makes it look so easy...

7.45pm. Return to bathroom. Fish out some bath oil given to me for my birthday last year, and decide to use it. It's expensive, so surely it won't set off my eczema?

7.50pm. Step into bath. FXXK that's hot! Step (aka leap) out again. Phone rings - someone trying to persuade us to move our energy supply. Lie and tell them I am on my way out...

7.55pm. Step back into bath. Now too cold. Turn on hot tap...

7.59pm. Step back in for 3rd and final time. Relax...

8.00pm. "Mama! Mama! I want to tell you something..." Curse the miracle of modern technology that is the babyphone and breathe deeply. If it's important enough he'll come and get me...

8.02pm. "Mama! Are you there?" Take a deep breath. "I'm in the bath, sweetie." "Why are you in the bath?" "Because (oh for god's sake...)... what is it?" "I need to talk to you..." Thoughts of Boy #1 on psychiatrists couch in 20 years time talking about uncaring mother who put herself first knock gently on the door of my subconcious. Plus, this special bath oil really - isn't...

8.03pm. Get out of bath. Dry off. Pad through to Boy #1's room. He is - of course - asleep.

8.05pm. Break out the Green & Black's chocolate ice cream.

7 comments:

  1. but the rest of evening ahead! 8.05! Wow! I am full of awe. round here it is last one knocked out at 10.45!!

    by then i am past the green and blacks and go straight for the lagavoulin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean it - isn't??

    Oh dear girl - did you drizzle some liquor over that by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh i know this scenario soo well...poor you! Lest you could tuck into some undisturbed ice cream time and not have to share with anyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good night kiss ritual - spurned aeons ago by GP1 (now 15) but still continues with his younger brother (13). So all may not be lost at 7 - so long as you don't try to kiss him in public, of course.

    And oh for an evening when I'm off duty by 8pm. I'm normally well into chauffering duties by then whilst getting their 2nd dinner ready for after whatever energetic sporting pursuit they've been indulging in.

    Mind you, I suppose I don't have to run around after them all day any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grit, what's lagavoulin? And where can I get it?

    Aims, it was just a little disappointing. Smelt rather more like a discreet aftershave than a luxurious bath experience, to be frank. And whilst I like discreet aftershave - I'm not so much with the bathing in it...

    Aminah, it wasn't that bad. And after a few spoonfuls of chocolate ice-cream, everything looked decidely more rosy. Who needs relaxing baths anyway when you can have fat-filled frozen heaven?

    GPM, you give me hope - and strike fear into my heart... I know the taxi phase of my life will come, but I'm not that excited about it, I must admit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my 9 year old still stomping around now - and don't worry about the kisses (oh, gpm is saying the same) but mine are 9 and 11 and fab at kissing still. Have to be or I'd sell them. No probs in public either. And no, re UFO, abs no substances taken at all. I really did see a UFO. They do exist you know. It's quite a relief, some little thing I don't have to worry about. Don't know what lagavoulin is tho. Worry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh god Milla - you mean I need to add worrying about weather UFO's exist or not to my list? Or would, if you weren't there to reassure me that they do?

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...