Friday 12 February 2010

Shock news; cold weather gear sucks...

I think I may need to smarten myself up a bit.

I reached this conclusion as I arrived at school to drop off Boy #1 this morning, clad in my normal sexy combo of Northface long-line padded coat, ski trousers, moon-boot sized snow boots, woolly hat and embarrassingly grubby gloves. My cheeks were red, my nose was running, and oh joy - as I discovered when I got home - the snow storm I had come through had helped the mascara I applied at 7.00am to migrate from my eyelashes to my cheeks. Not a good look.

All of this would be fine if my sartorial take on the morning school run was the majority choice, but dammit, it's not. Boy #1's school is populated by mummies who arrive wearing delicate high-heeled boots, stylish jeans, and body-conscious jackets. Or fur.

Which, by the way, I object to on principle - or rather, I did, until I found myself enduring the coldest Moscow winter for 30 years. Now, my high falutin' principles and protestations that 'there must be a decent man-made alternative, we are in the 21st century after all' are being worn by down the incessant minus 15 degC temperature to 'Gosh. You look warm...'

Anyway. I'm not cutting it in the yummy-stakes at the school gate. Which, whilst it isn't important enough for me to ditch the padding and shiver in style (hell, I never exactly wowed them in London, now I come to think of it), does make me wonder how they do it. Or rather, it did, until I put two and two together and realised that whilst I am yomping through the Arctic tundra pulling a sledge with two small boys on it, most of the other mums are tripping gaily out to their cars and hopping in the passenger seat as their driver takes them on to their next appointment...

Note to self: Add 'staff' to weekly shopping list...

9 comments:

  1. What a shame you can't join a car pool without actually having access to a car yourself! That would solve a few days of the frozen trudge. Surely there will be a thaw soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think of how much money you save on a gym membership by hauling around a hundred pounds of boy everywhere you go! And my! What powerful lungs you must have! These are the arguments I tell myself (a non driver) as I push a 46lb double buggy laden down with a 32 lb two year old and a 23lb 8 month old as well as the shopping up a hill which measures at approxtimately 80 degrees and which I have the good fortune to live at the top of. MY sympathies are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have my sympathies. I have come to the conclusion that there is no solution to looking glamorous in cold weather unless you are wearing something like Prada skiwear. Unfortunately, some of the Mommies at preschool look like they ARE wearing it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Layers darling. Unfortunataly there isn't really anything as good as fur (that's why they all wear it) but if you wear thin, wicking layers under your duvet-coat, it should keep you warm.
    And NO mascara. The only make-up that's needed is lip salve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, well, hip hurrah we got a car today. I still think we'll end up yomping a lot of the time but at least I now have the option of not doing!

    MD, excellent points, all of them. A driver would still be nice, though...

    NVG, here too. Blast them.

    EPM I bow to your superior knowledge. Layers it shall be...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you look just peachy in the blogosphere, if that's any consolation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Iota - and right back at you, obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you manage to find any two for the price of one offers on staff, then do send some my way. I have similar problems at the school gates. Only no mascara, I never get together enough to have applied makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - sounds really cold there! Silk underwear and thermals no good? maybe you're just like me, a true southern softie! still sounds very glamorous though - I use dior iconic waterproof mascara which basically stays on through anything, and curls your eyelashes - let me know if you want me to send you any? xx

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...