Wednesday 24 March 2010

The Gallery #4: 'Me'















Tara's prompt for this week's Gallery is 'Me'. This is a tricky one as I have a standing agreement with my husband that I will not post photos of any of our faces, so I spent the last few days thinking of clever ways to photograph the' inner Potty Mummy' without actually showing what I look like. I hatched plans that included crumpled Green & Black's wrappers, books with bent spines, the computer, children's toys, and a Russian dictionary, but frankly since I'm not a professional photographer everything just came out looking like the contents of my handbag had been upended on a table, dust and all...

Instead, here is a photo of my right hand, which at a stretch could be said to representative of me; it's not the most beautiful you've ever seen ('builder's hands' run in our family), nor is it the ugliest (at least, I hope not), but it works.

I've used it to type more words than I care to think about, it's the hand with which I sign my name, the one I prefer when holding my children's hands, the one I use to wipe their noses and bottoms, which I use to support them when I'm pushing them along on bikes and scooters, and the one which I automatically use when presenting my credit card to pay for stuff.

It's the one I hold my passport in when we travel, which I use to key in my cashpoint number, and with which I scratch my head or rub my eyes when I'm perplexed.

It's the one I doodle with in boring meetings, and the one I use to tap along to music when I'm listening to Xfm and pretending to be down with the kids.

It's the one I use to dial my husband's mobile phone number when he's travelling and I've got the con at home, and the one I use to put on my make-up and fluff up my hair.

In short, it's an essential part of me.

(And I do hope other people's pictures are more interesting....)

8 comments:

  1. I really like the representiation and for me this week it has been fun seeing what everyone comes up with,

    I love what is means to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that was a very interesting photo!
    I never thought about all the things I do with my right hand before, but you're right, it is a very important part of you.
    Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm feeling sorry for your exlcuded unloved left hand. You're going to have to do a post about her soon, or she might go on strike.

    Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the concept behind your photo...very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not just about the photo, your combination of what it means to you and the photo together make it a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MadHouse, well thankyou. Especially after having looked at your photo which I thought was amazing.

    Thanks Livi, much appreciated!

    Thanks Iota, and you're probably right. I should probably get her her own manicure or something. But then the right hand would get jealous and- oh, it's too exhausting.

    Thanks Brighton Mum. I had to come up with something!

    Chelle, thankyou - and one of these days I will unmask myself. Just not yet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great post. I think I could probably do without my left hand altogether... the right id definitely the boss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever thinking PM!

    Just one question, does it know what your left hand gets up to when you aren't looking?

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...