Friday 23 July 2010

On the hamster's wheel

It's the day before we go on our summer holiday. All is chaos at my parent's in law where we're currently staying before we leave for France. After spending 3 weeks with my parents and Husband's mother I'm becoming something of a basket case. I love them both dearly (although my parents more, obviously - it's the law, apparently), but I haven't spent this much time with them since I left home 25 years ago.

Husband suggested this morning that I take 'a couple of hours' out at a coffee shop to surf the internet and have some time to myself. Great idea. Except, by the time we emptied out our car ready for it to be scrapped (once we find the ownership papers, and god only knows where they are), went through the stuff in my mother-in-law's loft trying to find various pieces of clothing for the boys (also a fruitless exercise), and tried to rationalise some of our luggage before flying out with 'Not so Easy Jet' tomorrow morning, 'a couple of hours' had gone down to 1 hour 15. Throw in running a couple of errands (funnily enough for shaving foam that I won't be using and a card for my brother-in-law), and I was left with 40 minutes. Then I had to find a coffee shop with wifi (lose another 10 minutes) and queue up to get the code in the only joint in town with a working connection, and I have 2 minutes left to write a post.

And now I'm late.

What a relaxing 'couple of hours' that was...

So that's it, Internet. No more blog post right now. Hopefully the next time I log on I will be ensconced by the pool with a glass of chilled rose in my hand.


Update: My saint of a mother-in-law has taken the boys out to the park to give them the chance to let off steam and me time to pack.

I am, of course, blogging instead, so I can give you the skinny about my accident on the way home where, stomping along crossly in my new fit flops, I caught the incredibly thick sole on the edge of the pavement and executed a perfect triple salko ending up with me, my handbag, the shopping, and crucially, my laptop bag, hitting the ground with an ominous thud. Damage report: two grazed knees (amazingly through my jeans, no rips thank god), two bruised palms, a damaged sense of dignity and a slightly more rattly computer.

I may rename my new shoes 'titflops' - because I suspect I looked like one...

12 comments:

  1. Take me with you!!! I could so do with a glass of rose and a poolside spot, right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too - unfortunately I will have to wait until tomorrow. As for coming with us, only if you're prepared to be up at REALLY stupid o'clock and deal with two small boys who haven't had enough sleep. Something tells me it might take the entire holiday to recover...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a lovely holiday! So jealous!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll want to reconsider taking those flip flops with you. Have a wonderful holiday and get lots of rest. I know that's a mean thing to say to a mother of two little boys, but you do have to manage it somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a fabulous holiday - sounds as if you need it!
    Is that the Skoda you are scrapping?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So - not Fit Flops then?
    Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I hope you have a great holiday, void of any mishaps, computer or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! I hope the computer's okay. Grazes heal, but computer damage is too painful!

    I know the extended stay at the parents'/in laws' too well. Have had years of those visits by now. You have to learn to take deep breaths.

    Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, I'm smiling slightly at the titflops reference. Probably shouldn't be. Sounds as if you really need a holiday. Hope you have a great one. I have to say, my parents have taken my daughter out for a couple of hours so I can get some important jobs done in peace, and here I am in the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rose poolside....I'm gone....have a wonderful time x

    ReplyDelete
  11. And yet we all hope that one week by the pool will solve all our problems, or at least hide them for a while. I'm, hopefully, going on a 5 day break to my mother's. Fingers crossed that I come back relaxed and not tearing my hair out.

    Enjoy your wine by the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always knew flip flops were bad for your health and can't get into them even though they are part of the national costume here in Australia, where they are called thongs. Titflops a much more evocative name. Like it, but still prefer wellies myself.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...