Monday 16 August 2010

Bed time stories...

Boy #1 is now reading a lot more easily. This is great, and we're working on improving his fluency still further - but there's a problem. Most days, at some point, I read to my sons on the sofa, and at least once a day this will be as a reward for Boy #1 having read to me first.

The thing is though, and you may have forgotten this if your children are now fluent readers, but when a child is first familiarising themselves with the process, they do tend to read slowly and in something of a monotone. The dramatisation and pauses for effect that become de rigeur when you're a parent with more than your fair share of am dram in your past are things that don't come naturally until later in life.

So the last few times when Boy #1 has finished reading the latest installment of The Magic Key or similar to me at the end of a long and tiring day, I have to admit; it hasn't been either of my children who have been taking a nap on the sofa...

8 comments:

  1. You're not alone!!! God I hate it when they wriggle when I'm trying to take a nap. It's a skill though - the ability to sleep when perched on the knife edge of your child's mattress, or parked in a truck stop with the seat wound back, or under attach from light sabres. I reckon it prepares you for things like scaling Everest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AIW - great - shall we do that together then, the Everest thing? At least we might get to take the odd nap without being disturbed...

    LCM, yes, me too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. EPM - I only have the two, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that what grandparents are for? Reading practice and similar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm joining your Everest expedition, by the way (though we never managed Patisserie Valerie in London, so I guess Everest might be a little on the ambitious side).

    ReplyDelete
  6. No really it's not how they are reading it's definitely Biff, Chip and Co and the Magic Key! But what is really scary is that we've got to go through it again with our Boy #2!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...