Thursday 28 April 2011

Starting over...

Imagine this; you are asked to start a new blog. (Well, if I'm honest, you offer to start a new blog, but let's not split hairs). It seems like a great idea (it is a great idea) because it's simply an extension of what you do already, but here's the rub; essentially, you have to start from scratch.

Forget any rapport that you may have built up with your readers over the last 4 years or so, forget being able to take for granted that your audience knows roughly how old you and your kids are, what your cultural references are (British, Londoner, child of the 70's and 80's), and that when you call people 'sweetie' and 'darling' you are playing up to a stereotype and essentially taking the piss out of yourself - and that your readers know that.

Forget too the chance that the person reading posts on your new blog may have touched on any part of your journey from blogging as a stay at home mum struggling with the concept of not going back to work and having precious little control over their day to day routine with two small children in tow, through to being a relatively self-confident woman who knows that whilst her current job is part of what she is, it certainly isn't all she is.

And finally, forget any confidence in knowing who your readers actually are, since the new platform you'll be blogging on has precious little to do with that where your current blog lives.

OK, forgotten all that?


I've started writing a new - more Russia-centric - blog on The Moscow Times ('Russia's only English-language daily newspaper') website. You can see my first post there by clicking on the link above. It won't replace 'The Potty Diaries', but will live alongside it for as long as that's a mutually beneficial arrangement. If you choose to take a look you may recognise photographs, incidents and / or posts from the archives here (hey, I own the copyright, why not?), but there will also be unique content which I'll flag here when I post it there, in case anyone's interested.

And, can I just add? I am pretty damn proud of myself for making this happen.

(That's the self-confident woman who's busy extending her cv speaking, by the way...)

13 comments:

  1. Wow! This sounds really really cool! Well done. I shall click over and bookmark.

    Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm incredibly impressed! Go you that's outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Open the champagne indeed. THat is fantastic. Brilliant work (you confident go getting woman you!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potty - conquering the world, one blog market at a time. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic news! You should be really proud. (why aren't I following you - I thought I was. Apologies).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, great photos... What a clever idea. I'm impressed you thought of it and very pleased that they took you up on your offer. They're going to love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blimey, good for you!

    Love Expat Mum's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. and we are proud of you too!! Well done lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well! One blog is enough for me. Anymore and I'll have to hire someone to help. :-) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done. I enjoye dyr 1st post. Could echo yr sentiments exactly, with a geographical & beverage change, but otherwise. "I know just what you mean!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh that's very exciting news, well done you, 'Our Woman in Moscow'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done you!

    Incredibly cool beans!

    ReplyDelete
  13. good for you! My hubbie was in St Petes for a while. Now back in Blighty but with itchy feet.
    Oh, and if you're still hunting for good water bottles that don't leak, we stock them x

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...