Tuesday 14 February 2012

The Greatest Photo I Never Took, #1079

I bet this happens to everyone. You see something, for just a moment, and then a few seconds later - when it's gone - think "Damn! I should have got my camera out! WHY didn't I get my camera out?" Assuming you're not engaged in an activity that would make it dangerous for you to stop and make it happen, there's no excuse really; it's not as if most of us don't have the ability, what with mobile phones now doubling up as cameras.

I'm not sure there are really 1,079 shots that I've missed. I suspect it's far more, if I'm honest, but only a couple spring to mind right now. The first was of the top of one of Moscow's Seven Sisters buildings rising through the clouds on a particularly beautiful morning. I knew I should take that photo, but I was driving at 60km an hour on a 3 lane highway with no hard shoulder at the busiest time of day, so have had to make do with keeping that one as a mental snapshot. But oh, what a beautiful photograph it would have made.

The second - the one that prompted this post - was something I saw on Saturday. It was cold, about minus 18degC, and we were sitting in heavy traffic (yes, I know, cold and traffic; recurrent themes on this blog), driving along Leningradskoe Shosse. I glanced out of the car and saw 2 workmen taking 5 minutes by the side of the road. One of them was holding a pipe upright at right angles to the ground; it ended in a jet of flame at about shoulder level. The other was passing his bare hands through the flame, to warm them up. I reached for my handbag to pull out my phone, but the traffic had started to move again, and they were gone.

So desperately crazy. So bloody cold. So extremely Moscow.

Definitely one of the greatest photos I never took. What was yours?

4 comments:

  1. I was icing my valentine cookies this morning (it's an American thing), and I was reminded of a road sign that always amuses me. "Road liable to icing". I thought that was a missed photo opportunity. Wouldn't it be a great photo to have framed and up in your kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love that sign about the icing! We did this as a BritMums prompt (the best photo you never took) just recently - hurrah, there's something in the ether! Mine was the happy family in the delivery room - mum, dad & baby all safe & well (ok probably looking knackered). Just visited another mum's house today and there was hers, central on the sideboard, price of place. Good for her - we must remember next time if we have another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iota - excuse me but... valentine cookies? And you're asking if I'm becoming an American...?

    Menai, you'll mean to take it, really you will, but having been there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might as well never take a photo, they never turn out the way I want *clutches forehead in a frustrated artiste moment*. Sounds as though you've got a good chance of catching the workmen burning/warming their hands again, unless spring suddenly happens!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...