Sunday 16 September 2012

It's not you, it's me...

Dear Lie-In,

this is a hard letter to write, but I'm just going to come straight out and say it; I think it's over between us.  I know, I know; we had good times with each other.  Not regularly for the last while, it's true, but over the years we've notched up a lot of hours in bed together.  And they were good times, weren't they?  No, don't answer that.  I know they were.  Sure, there were Other Obligations often knocking at the door but we managed to ignore their siren call for many years and make sure that we got to spend quality time together often enough to keep our relationship still fresh.

But it's different now.  Yes, I told you after the kids arrived that I would still have time for you and I did manage to snatch a few hours here and there but let's be honest - it just hasn't been the same, has it?  Don't deny it - I know you felt it too. And now that the new school term has started along with the football season and who knows what other activities in the pipeline stealing me away from you at the weekends, well, I think it's time to face the music and just admit that we can never be what we once were to each other.  It just isn't going to happen this side of half term, and that's the truth.

Yes, sure, I know you would wait for me if I asked you to, but I just can't do that to you.  You need to be free; to go off and spend time with all those teenagers and students out there.  They won't appreciate you, of course.  They'll take you for granted but I think that in some way, that's what you want, really; to be such an integral part of someone's life that they can't imagine Saturday and Sunday mornings without you.

So, go.  Go with my blessing.  And as I stand at the side of that windy football pitch on a grey and chilly Saturday before 9am, I'll remember our relaxed times together and hope that someday - maybe on a November weekend, when it's dark outside, sleeting a storm, and the children are still recovering after a too-late viewing of 'Cars 2' the night before - our paths might cross again.

Thanks for the memories,

PMx

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful...oh how I miss Lie-in, we were so happy for so long. But then it all ended, and I didn't even have time to say goodbye...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When your children are grown up, it's not so much lying in that you will want to do but enjoying that first cup of coffee in the silence of the house while you sit in your pajamas and contemplate the coming of the day. You will possibly even greet the sun as it rises. Sleep isb't all that important as you get older. It's just something that needs to get done. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah how I miss my lie-ins. You're right though - kids grow up so fast you don't really want to miss a minute. Even if you do have eye bags down to your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes. The lie-in. Whatever happened to that? I used to love making toast and jam, and taking it back to bed with a cup of tea. (Or is that too active to count as a proper lie-in?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omgoodness! And here I was reading thinking you were getting divorced! Lie in I wondered? What the heck is that? I thought maybe just the person next to you in an empty shell whose mind had left the marriage. Thank you to your commenters for clearing up this minor issue....could you imagine the rumors? All bc I asked if you were splitting up?! Ha! Lie in = sleeping in....got it!

    Next on agenda....English translation lessons

    ReplyDelete
  6. Youth soccer league by any chance?

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...