Saturday 17 August 2013

Snapshots

I know that I will get my blogging mojo back soon - previous experiences of losing it have shown me that the best way to get over the non-inspiration hump is simply to sit down and write - but in the short term re-acquainting ourselves with home and Russia in general, along with getting ready for the start of the school term next week (I know!) is sapping my energy a little.  So I'm going to cheat a little, and use the fb posts I've written since our return to Moscow this week to get things started again on The Potty Diaries...  (Apologies to those of you who've already read these.  Needs must, and all that).

So here are some snapshots of life in the Potski household this week...

Wednesday 14th August

There is nothing quite like being greeted back to Russia with the hot water out of action first thing in the morning. This, my friends, is exactly what I was afraid of when The Management announced they were going to remove our water boiler and put us on the communal hot water supply (which they did whilst we were away over the summer break). My Husband is not here right now - of course - but if he were, I doubt I would be able to stop the words 'I told you so' issuing forth...


Friday 16th August

How do you know when Autumn is knocking on the door in Moscow? No, it's not the slight chill in the early morning air. Or the intensified quality of the light. It's not even the fact that the leaves have already started to turn. 

It's when you find yourself standing in front of your wardrobe thinking: "Well OK, the green dress and the pink shoes may not be appropriate for messing about at home all day, but who knows when the next time it will be warm enough to wear them will be?"


Saturday 17th August

My sons are doing a stock-take on the contents of their pocket money folders. Which is all very well, but they're also calling in the I.O.U notes I put in them when I was short of change...

5 comments:

  1. I took out the change in the 10year old's money box last week and exchanged it for nice crisp $20s. I didn't even short change him but he's still convinced he's been had. Pah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had an enormously long break from blogging and am getting going again, slowly, with a new blog. I think I lost my voice, never mind hoarse. Anyhow, good to hear your voice!
    Christine aka gpm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I put my URL in wrong (oh the joys of a new blog). We eventually gave up with the stack of IOUs and started paying pocket money straight into their bank accounts by standing order. So unromantic, but it stopped a lot of arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Short of change? My I.O.U. notes to the children are for notes, not coins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. EPM, yes - paper money just isn't the same (apparently...)

    Christine, good to hear from you. I'm sure we'll end up with the bank account situation before too long, as well.

    IOU, mine too - but 'change' can also refer to notes (small ones, worth no more than £1, on occasion...)

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...