Tuesday 21 October 2014

Inspirational Quotes. Or not...

I love a good inspirational quote.  In fact, I have to admit that there are couple which I have even copied out into the front of my notebook to refer to in times of need.  What would Edmund Burke* say about this, I ask myself as I ponder whether giving the kids shop-bought pizza for the 2nd night running makes me a bad mother.  What would Marcus Aurelius** say?

(Just kidding.)

However...

Is it just me, or are we currently drowning in a sea of facile truisms being spread through the internet by social meeja? Most are so superficial that it seems to me that almost anyone could come up with them.

So, based on some of my own deep and meaningful recent life experiences I've given it a go myself. I've even added extra exclamation marks and the odd emoticon instruction so that you can experience them to their full potential.

(I expect Hallmark to be in touch shortly to discuss royalty fees before they start the presses running on the first of a series of Potty Diaries Inspirational Quotes, coming to you on mugs and greetings cards soon...)


Life is Short; Eat Dessert First.  (OK, I didn't come up with that one myself, and have no idea who did.  It was probably Hallmark, now I come to think of it.  But it is one of my favourites...)

Life:  too short to eat bad chocolate / drink bad wine / eat low fat spread / knit your own pasta (delete as appropriate)

Leave that blocked pore ALONE!  (Insert stop sign)

If you can't leave the blocked pore alone, a good beautician can work wonders!!!

You can never have too many scarves (to hide the damage from the badly handled blocked pore, if nothing else).  Smiley face smiley face

Taking down your kids' trampoline before the temperatures drop below freezing is good use of a spare hour!!

Taking down your kids' trampoline after the temperatures have dropped below freezing will remind you to do it earlier next year!!  (Insert smiley face here)

Freshly varnished nails and taking down your kids' trampoline are mutually exclusive concepts. (insert sad face and advert for intensive treatment hand and nail moisturising lotion)


Do you have any inspirational quotes of your own to add?



And now, the real McCoy...

*"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

** "Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be.  Be one."  (Marcus Aurelius)

5 comments:

  1. Abraham Lincoln: It's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years. (Very appropriate for those of us with big birthdays.)


    I like your trampoline ones though. Less universally applicable, possibly, but still good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edmund Burke. "Don't be a burk". (I made that up - I don't suppose he ever said it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Iota. And thanks for your appreciation of the trampoline quotes; it is, I feel, fertile ground for many more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "He who empties the dishwasher will always be a star in his mother's eyes". Iota Manhattan c.2014

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just doing a spot of bloggy catching up, when I should be working. My favourite quote of the week is a bit too serious for this thread, but what the hell: "Never say no to adventure. Always say yes, otherwise you'll live a very dull life". This is from Ian Fleming's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Taking down trampolines with beautiful nails (yours of course, not the trampoline's) with the temperature below zero sounds like an adventure that IF would have approved. As indeed is moving to Moscow in the first place.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...